June 25, 2014

reverse culture shock, fundraising, partying, and the rest

Well, these 6 weeks have been such a whirlwind, and I'm so ready to move on!  I've enjoyed being in 10 cities in 6 states and seeing countless friends.  It's always strange to see how people have changed, grown up, moved on, and filled the place in their lives that you once were.

Doing all this running around, I can tell you that reverse culture shock is real, but I haven't found it to be as affecting as I might have anticipated.  I think it would be a lot harder if I were moving to the states right now.  The main shock is that nobody is paying attention to me.  As a white person in Haiti, you can expect a lot of attention all the time.  It's weird to be back here and see everyone going about their business, oblivious to those around them.  The second thing is that there are too many options.  "Should I get a chocolate milk or juice?  Or wait, what about soda?  No, I should get a Starbucks thing.  Wait, that's too expensive.  So is the orange juice.  Maybe a Snapple?  Wait, am I really even thirsty?  Is there a water fountain?  Wait, I should just get one.  I'm sure I'd like any of them.  Or none of them."  And that's why shopping in America gets difficult!

I used to be somewhat frustrated that fundraising only got me what I needed for the time, even though I've never need much (relative to other missionaries, I need 1/12 or 1/20th as much funding).  So why does it seem like it's just as hard for me to get a few thousand dollars a year as it is for them to get a 50 k a year?  I know so many people with stories about how God provided thousands of dollars at the last minute, or how they got a check for the exact amount, down to the penny, when they had told no one they needed funding?  So thinking of all these amazing stories, I said to God,

"Why doesn't that ever happen for me?"

And God, almost sarcastically, as He sometimes is in my own mind, said, "Good question.  Tell me about all the times I called you to something and didn't provide what you needed."

"Oh... right."   The truth is that I never have come up short in the end.  I never cancelled or postponed because of a lack of support.  I've been blessed financially over and over, and I've never felt afraid that God wouldn't provide in the end.

Speaking of which, I'm fully funded!  (Which means, you can reasonably expect me not to ask you for money until at least July 2015!)  But on a serious note, I am so thankful to each of you.  Whether you gave $5, $500, or just committed to praying for me in Amsterdam, it means the world to me!!  I'd like to give a special thanks to Greenhill UMC in Bowling Green, KY; Stevensons Chapel in Russellville, KY; and Catalyst Christian Church in Nicholasville, KY.  I am in awe of your neverending support and happy to be partnering with you in ministry!

These past 6 weeks have been challenging in some ways, refreshing in others, and exhausting in terms of hopping around from couch to floor to air mattress!  Coming back to the states, you find lots of people who have forgotten about you, but you also find lots of people who are there for you just as beautifully as they always were.  For each of you, I am thankful!

If you wanted to give, but didn't get the chance to, feel free to get me an Amazon gift card.  I'm trying to build up a good library of books on human trafficking to read this year!

Love to all!!

Prayer Requests:
That I don't get lost in the airport or train station this Sunday/Monday!
That the staff will work well together, build each other up, and strengthen one another.
That the kids in Haiti will be well taken care of.
That the hostel will see many people this year begin a relationship with Jesus!

1 comment: