February 23, 2015

Slavery (also, my birthday!)

Slavery.  It's always on my mind.  And I really mean always.  I can't seem to escape the idea, even if I wanted to.  But I don't want to.  I'm desperate to stay awake to this topic, to never ever become numb to the fact that people in this world are OWNED by other people.  There's a million reasons it's not right, and I hope I don't have to explain them to you.

But what I can tell you is that I don't want to go a single day without remembering that it could have been me.  As I have been blessed with freedom, it is my responsibility to do what I can to win this fight.  And maybe what I can do is almost nothing at all.

But I have known for a while that I'm looking for an opportunity to work full-time against human trafficking.  How could I do anything else?  When I was a kid, I had this persistent feeling that I should have been around during the time of slavery, that I should have been there to help in whatever small way that I could.  But I had faith in our world because the slave trade (as I knew it) had already ended, long before I was born. 

But it didn't.  It didn't end.  It didn't.  Not even close.  There are more slaves in the world today than at any other time in history.  Something like 27 million, which is unfathomable to me. 

So what then?  Was I born for such a time as this? 

Well... maybe.

And that's why I'm going to Thailand in March to see if I'd like to work with Blessing Home.  They are a human-trafficking prevention ministry in Pattaya.  Click here for more info - Thailand Methodist Mission

I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing, only that I want God to lead me wherever He wants.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what Thailand is like, and I can't wait to let you know about my experiences there!!

If you'd like to give me a birthday gift, I would love some money to help cover the cost of my plane ticket!

Love you all, and have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment