May 10, 2013

Honduras

We've only been here a few days, but it feels like it's been a lifetime.  Starting Monday, I will be helping with the boy's English classes!  I'm pretty darn excited.  We've been doing useful things in the office, but I think that I thrive when I actually get to interact with a lot of people.
Honduras is a lot different from Haiti.  I wish I could think about Honduras without comparing every little thing to Haiti, but I guess my brain doesn't work that way.  Let me tell you a little bit about what Honduras has been like for me:
Early Mornings.  We wake up at like 5 or 6 each morning because it gets pitch black by about 6:30.
Immersion.  When I went to Haiti, I lived with more white people than Haitians.  Here, I live with more Hondurans than white people.  In addition, we (Jessica, Leah - the other intern - and I) eat lunches and dinners with the students.  (When I was in the airport, some things were repeated in English, but a lot of things weren't.  I would not have survived without Jessica.)
Spanish.  I feel like most Haitians don't expect you to speak Kreyol, but it seems like most Hondurans are surprised when I tell them I don't speak a lot of Spanish.  I think learning Kreyol pushed all the Spanish outside of my head, but it's coming back slowly.
Restful.  We work in spurts.  We kind of half-work all day.  We have lots of breaks, but our work is never really done.  Plus, it's a lot of work to meet lots of new people and not speak the language.  But I think we get plenty of rest.
Happy.  It's a good time.  Honduras doesn't feel like home, but I'm happy to be here.

Pray for Enoch's daughter.  (Enoch works here at El Sembrador.)  The day we got here she broke her femur, and she's still in the hospital.

Adios!

Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment