May 20, 2013

partying

We spend our evenings trying to get to know the students better.  It's a very small amount of time because they have study hall until 7:15, and then their curfew is 8:30 (9 on Saturdays). 
We're not allowed to have cards in Honduras because it's considered gambling.  The Christian culture of Honduras is very conservative, compared to the states.  We are allowed to have Uno though, and we have spent many hours of our time here playing Uno with the boys.  It's a good way to connect, but we have gotten just a little bit sick of Uno. 
So Friday, we went on a quest for a basketball!  The students would much rather play soccer, but we would definitely not be able to hold our own against them on the soccer field.  We found a student with a basketball, and we started to play.  Before we knew it, half the school was watching the game.  I was a little worried that I would bring my team down, since I haven't played basketball since I was like 11.  In the first game, I got two points(out of three), including the winning point!  I'm a lot more proud of that than I should be, but it was super fun and a lot of exercise. 

Okay, so this is a little different.  It looks like I might be a teacher, like a real first grade teacher in the school in Catacamas that two of Leslie's children go to.  I definitely don't feel equipped, but I'm completely willing to do whatever.  We'll see how it goes. 

Pray for me as I try to figure out what I'm going to do next.

Love,
Shelbs

No comments:

Post a Comment