January 10, 2015

whirlygig turnarounds

When I look back at 2014, the strangest part is that I left Haiti.

If you see my blog from this time last year, you might see that I said "2014 is the year that I refuse to leave!!"

2014!

And here I am.  I've been in Amsterdam for 6 months already!

I thought I would maybe leave in Haiti forever.  I think the hardest part of following God is to trust Him and relinquish control.  We all want to be the ones who decide where we'll go, what we'll do, who we'll be.  But God has already decided what He wants for us - that we'll go with Him, do His work (which isn't so much work, as much as loving people), and that we'll be His.

From James 4:

(13) Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” (14) Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. (15) Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” (16) As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil. (17) If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.

So I'll not make the same mistake as last year.  I can't say I understand completely why I'm here and not in Haiti, here and not in America, at a hostel and not at a restaurant.  I can only say it's what God is doing, and I hope that every day of my life I will get better and better at listening.   I've seen God at work in Haiti, and I've seen what He's doing here.  And I've been a part of it, and that's so cool.

In another year, who knows where I could be?  Instead, I'll say, that in 2015, I will go with God, love people, and be His.



P.S.  Living here is more expensive than I thought, and I really enjoy blessing guests and cleaners with a random coffee or book.  If you'd like to be a part of that, please use the paypal link to make a small donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment