July 28, 2012

adventures galore

First of all, I am deeply sorry that I have not blogged in so long.  Just to give you a little bit of info, these past couple weeks have been fantastic!  I just never feel like blogging, as my time draws closer and closer to an end.  I have a mere 8 whole days left in this wonderful country.  It's bittersweet to say the least.

Anyway, the wonderful Shannon Kelley (who was a guest on a previous blog) let me borrow a very good book called "Love Does."  I highly recommend it, and I might even buy it for myself if I get the chance (welcome home present perhaps?).  You know when you read a book and it completely reminds you of who you want to be?  It makes coherent ideas out of strains of thoughts you already had.  This was one of those books for me.  

The main thing that I gleaned from this book is this: I used to lament not having plans for my future, but now I embrace it!
Up until now, I felt like it was a flaw for me not to know what I'm doing after I graduate.  I felt ashamed when I told people I was uncertain of what the future holds or where God is calling me.  Maybe if I were holier, I would know exactly what God wants me to do with my whole life.  Right?  Or I had this idea that maybe God leaves us in the dark until the last second and then tells us specifically what to do.  Right now (though I'm sure my thoughts may develop as life goes on) I don't really think that either of those is what God does about His plan for our lives.  As if I would have gotten God's second best adventure if I had gone somewhere else this summer or if I had come to Haiti with a different organization.  If I had gone somewhere else, I would have done different things and met different people.  That doesn't make it any more or less good though.  I really think that God uses our passions and He is pleased when we live out our dreams.  (I really think people who seek God have dreams that are just like His anyway.)  It is such a relief for me to embrace the fact that there is not a wrong choice.  I am going to spend my life loving God and loving people; the rest is just details.  Where will I go?  How will I raise money?  Will I get a normal job sometimes?  Details, details, details.  
So now I know exactly what I'm going to do with my life!  I am going to engage it.  Adventure isn't where you go or even who you go with.  A disengaged person can travel the whole world, and it's not an adventure.  An engaged person can explore the front yard or walk down the street, and it IS an adventure.  That's what I want.  I want to remember that every day is an adventure if I want it to be.  And I do.  
So that's my plan for now.  I'm going to embrace every opportunity - whether it's Honduras working with a sponsorship program, Lexington with a homeless shelter, Haiti with an orphanage, or Wilmore with my peers every day.  There are so many possibilities.  Anything can happen, and I love it all.  God works everything for our good (Romans 8:28).  Do you know what that means?  Everything is good for us!  If God is going to work a flat tire or a stolen wallet for our good, then a flat tire or a stolen wallet is GOOD!  It's all good!  Just being alive is good, and life is good!  Do you know what I mean?  Does this make any sense?
I know that wherever I go, whoever I'm with, whatever I do, God with be with me.  Good will come of it, and the adventure will continue whenever I seek Him.

Perhaps I will elaborate in another blog tomorrow or the next day.  So let me know what you think, and I'll respond.  =]  


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Shelby! This makes so much sense. Thank you for talking about this, because you opened my eyes to a different viewpoint about God's plan. I always worry about exactly what my next step is going to be and stress about decisions. But my most important decision has already been made: deciding to follow Christ. I like what you said about how anything and everything can be an adventure if we choose to make it one. You're awesome...and very wise. Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelby, your post is gorgeous. I absolutely love that you said "Every day is an adventure if you want it to be." Thank you for reminding me of that... I forget much too often. I know God has wonderful plans for the both of us... We'll find them soon. <3 you!

    ReplyDelete