October 31, 2013

I am Peter

"Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)"

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior


This song.  Oh, this song.  The first time I heard it I thought it was pretty good.  Yet, the more times I sang it, the more times it became the prayer of my heart.  After all, who doesn't want to walk on the water?  To go on a grand adventure with God and experience the unexpected, wondrous beauty?  I think most of us do.  Just like Peter, we see Jesus out there, standing on the waves as if they're nothing.  And they are nothing to Him; He has overcome them already.  We see it, and it's glamorous.  It's cool.  It's exciting.  And we ask God to take us there.  At least, I asked God to take me there.

And what is it like?  Well, it's exactly what the song says.  I am in deep.  Deeper than my feet could ever wander.  My feet my fail; in fact, they have at times.  When I've tried to do any of this on my own, I've felt myself start to sink beneath the waves.  And all the while, I've been hoping I can keep my eyes above the waves.  Yet, I find myself looking down, wondering why I was crazy enough to get off of the nice, cozy, happy boat.  When you're falling into the waves, the boat looks pretty okay.

This place is deep.  I never would have gotten here without Jesus, just like Peter never would have walked on the water without Jesus.  But it's not a one time decision, or even a weekly affirmation.  When you stop trusting God, when you start to be afraid, you will start to sink.

And the beautiful part, one of the beautiful parts, is that even though Peter got scared and doubted his position walking on the water, Jesus still caught him.  He didn't let him fall and tell him it was his own darn fault.

My feet will continue to fail, but I hope and pray that I will keep my eyes above the waves.  

And if you, you beautiful person you, are still sitting in the boat - with the comfy cushions and hot chocolate - I want you to know that there's so much more to see.  If you step out of the boat, out of your comfort zone, and let the borders of your trust fall down, you will get wet.  And muddy.  And hurt.  And ridiculed.  And sometimes humiliated.  But somehow, the life you will live will be so much greater, and you will never have to wonder....


What if I went for it?  What if I gave it all?

What if I went to the place that I cannot survive on my own?

2 comments:

  1. I love your writing! And I love that song! And Iove you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will survive because you are not alone. You are strong, smart and relentless. And if you find that you are not in the place where you belong, you will know. Changing directions does not mean quitting, it means reevaluating the situation and using your gift in the best possible way. Sometimes a fireman has to let one house burn to save many more...

    ReplyDelete