May 18, 2012

Flag Day!

Happy Flag Day!  Haitians have a lot of holidays, and today was one of them.  
First, though, I'll tell you about yesterday.  I went to Luly with a team that is here doing a photojournalism thing.  We took pictures and did interviews at the school, clinic, etc.  We went to a pretty beach and found lots of shells.  There was a cat at the clinic, by the way.  It was so sweet and the only cat that I have ever seen in this whole country.  So that's pretty cool.  It costs $2 to go to the doctor here, but most people don't want to spend the money on it.  The other day some guy's friends brought him into the clinic after a heart attack, but he was already dead when the doctor saw him.  The doctor was super sweet, and she spoke really good english too.
Today was flag day, so people were off school/work.  Therefore, we went to Wahoo for a fun day!  http://wahoobaybeach.com/ Check it out.   It's legit.  It was actually nicer than any beach I ever went to in California, especially since the water was so beautifully clear.  But also, the food was good, the pool was nice, everything was clean, and the beach was just so perfect!  Guess who put sunscreen on seven times and still got burnt!  This girl.  Pretty much everyone is lobsterrific though.  I bought some really pretty jewelry today too.  The resort is really close to the town where the big celebration of flag day is, and the president himself went there today!  In fact, we saw him on our drive home.  (Well, we saw his fleet of cars because the whole right side of the street had to pull over to let him through.  All the windows were completely tinted, of course).  So I didn't actually see him, but I was like less than five feet away from the president of Haiti today!  Also, we saw a parade on the way home.  It was pretty neat.  There were a bunch of dancers suddenly next to us on the street, and we were all really confused, but afterwards came  a band and other groups of people.
I am so glad to have my Chacos.  (Thanks mom!)  In case you don't know, Chacos are wonderful shoes that are great for rugged terrain.  Today I thought I would wear my flip flops because we were going to the beach, but I realized quickly how much my Chacos were doing for my feet.  There are just too many rocks on the street that dig into your feet.  
The two teams that are here are going home tomorrow, and after that I don't know when another team is coming in.  I sort of feel like I should be leaving with them - not that I want to, but that it's just time to go.  On the contrary, I still have 88 days left here.  It hasn't really sunk in, but I do live here for the next 12 weeks, and I've only been here one week so far.
As always, please leave comments because they are very encouraging, and I really appreciate it.
Shelby
P.S. We saw a 2 or 3 year old driving, without the adult even having their hands on the wheel with them.  As if the streets aren't insane here anyway.

1 comment:

  1. You know how you were talking about people always looking for Haiti's big problem? The one where, if we could just solve it, everything would get better?
    I think I've found it: THEY HAVE NO CATS!!!
    Really, though, thinking about tiny kids driving is scary...
    Hope your sunburn gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete