May 21, 2012

it's been ONE WEEK! [and dreams are coming true]

Actually, it's been 9 days since I left Nashville, TN.  Crazy, right?  Every time I think that I'm starting to get a tan, I look again and I'm still as pale as a ghost.  Hahahahaha.  Now that the teams are gone, it's just me, Charles (medical intern), Brad (manages the guest house), Ali (staff), some Haitians, and Patrick (a guy who comes down here all the time and just got here yesterday).  No one wanted to go to church yesterday except for me.  But going to church once a week is the bare minimum for me, so we found a way.  I got to go with some lovely ladies with some other organizations, and it was really neat.  I got to meat a lot of people at church, and the service was really good.  Hopefully, I will get there one way or another every week.
So let me tell you about the hardest thing I've done since I've been here.  It has nothing to do with lack of air conditioning, warm showers, safe roads, etc, or even to do with starving children or poverty.  Saturday and today, Charlie and I did inventory!  The upstairs of the staff house has just piles and piles of junk.  Nothing is organized.  Some things, we didn't even really know what they were.  It's legit that we have so much stuff to give away, but I guess I don't really understand why we STILL have it.  Some of it seems to be from Valentine's, Easter, or even Christmas, so who knows how old it all is?  Hundreds of toothbrushes, crayons, soap, clothes, silly bands, everything you can think of!  The medical section was the worst. Our excel spreadsheet has hundreds of categories.  We worked on it for hours and hours on Friday and about two hours today.  Two hours on the craft section alone.  I just hope that they keep up with the inventory from now on so that they don't have to go back and do it again.  I'd rather they just go and give away all the stuff upstairs and have a fresh start!
The last two nights, Ali has been gone, so I in the big house alone!  It wasn't scary though.  I watched Toy Story 2 on my computer last night, so that was really nice.  I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing right now - if anything.
Being here gets me thinking a lot about what I'll do with the rest of my life.  I find that questions like, "if you could do anything, what would you do?  if you could go anywhere, where would you go?  what is your dream job?" etc to be really helpful.  I worked so hard to get here this summer, and there is no place I'd rather be right now.  It was my dream to get here, but what will be my new dream?  Should I move here after I graduate or maybe work with homeless or youth in America?  If I stay in America, should I live in Lexington, Florida, California, or somewhere new?  If I live in another country, should I live here or somewhere new?  And with what organization?
It's only a year until I graduate, so I feel like I should have answers to some of these questions, but I don't really.  All I know is that I'm where I'm supposed to be right now, and I have a year to figure out the next step.
Fini.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Shelby!

    I just caught up with your blog, and I'm really happy that you're documenting your adventures & experiences.
    You have so much in store for you--during your stay in Haiti, your next year at Asbury, and the future! Keep your chin up and keep asking yourself what you dream to do! If you keep your dreams in mind, you'll find a way of achieving them. I promise.
    Until the next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww inventory... but you did say there was a bunch of craft stuff, right? Will you get to use that when your craft stuff starts? That would help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know yet if I will be doing crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you. Check your facebook for a message. I really miss talking to you on the phone, but at least we can message back and forth!

    ReplyDelete