June 8, 2012

you've got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time

Well, things have definitely gotten better.  After a few heart to hearts with some of the other interns, I feel a lot more hopeful about the rest of the summer.  The song that has been getting me through this struggle is "Never Once" by Matt Redman.  

"Scars and struggles on the way, 
but with joy our hearts can say. 
Yes, our hearts can say.  
Never once did we ever walk alone.  
Never once did You leave us on our own.  
You are faithful, God, You are faithful."

Even if all the other interns were against me (and they're not), I would still not be alone.  "I'll go, but I cannot go alone, because I know I'm nothing on my own."  That's also from a song!  I could never make it through all this without God, so it's a good thing He's here.
Also, my adviser back at Asbury sent me an encouraging verse.

"For I am the Lord your God
    who takes hold of your right hand 
and says to you, Do not fear;
    I will help you."
Isaiah 41:13

Yesterday we went to tree of life again to do our hope lesson and craft.  I think I finally know all of the kid's names over there.  Those kids are just starving.  What does it take to starve to death?  Those kids are so hungry, but they're still so happy.  Yesterday they sang a song to me, 
"Shelby renmen ti moun.  Ti moun renmen Shelby."
After they did my name, they did the other interns names too.
It means, "Shelby loves the children.  The children love Shelby"
And I do.  I love them very much.  

We went back to Williamson today.  We meet so many people who have one meal a day - when they can get their hands on it.  And me, I'm hungry when we skip lunch.  There's enough food in the world for everyone.  Did you know that?  I'm not sure what the stats are anymore, but a couple years ago World Vision reported that there was something like enough food in the world for every person to eat 5 lbs of food.  We are just really bad sharers.

My brain is a little muddled today.  Hopefully I can get you a slightly more coherent blog in a few days.  =]
I really appreciate everyone's comments and encouragements.   So keep it up!

3 comments:

  1. K, I'm gonna give it a try:
    What's the most common word/phrase the kids know how to say in English? What do you use most often in Creole? What are you most looking forward to during the rest of your time in Haiti? What have you enjoyed most so far? What's something that worried you when you went to Haiti but ended up not being a big deal? Are these questions ok? :P
    Also, I looked up that song on YouTube, and it was pretty amazing to see that it's actually possible for people to post nice/uplifting/positive comments on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I have The Beatles and Casting Crowns stuck in my head at the same time. :P Good thing I like both of those songs! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm soooooooo glad things are getting better!!! I love you, Sherbs! =)

    ReplyDelete