June 2, 2012

thoughts and blessings

Hey guys! I hope everything is going well in whichever part of the world you each live.

It's been a huge blessing to have more interns here now. Also, Shannon's friend is here. She is a lovely, encouraging girl named Elizabeth Ann. It's been great to play and get to know each other a bit. We went to Wahoo today for a fun day. I'm excited for church tomorrow and planning out the bible lessons for the week. It's been sad not having Ali around, though harder to notice because I'm surrounded by people. I hope she finds a fantastic opportunity somewhere else around Haiti.

I still get really anxious whenever I think about going back to America in August. I'm getting vulnerable, giving my whole heart to the people of this country - to the precious children who long to be held and sung to. The orphanage staff seems pretty caring, but there just isn't enough attention to go around. It's so hard for me to be aware of my impending departure. Three months just is not a long time at all, you know. But it's not my ministry. It's God's. God was here first, and He will still be here after I leave, even though there will most likely be no one from WWV to keep the ball rolling. I can't try to take it out of God's hands (not that I could be successful in doing so), but I have to trust Him with it, with my darling children.

First world problems. https://twitter.com/search/firstworldproblems Are you familiar with the phrase? It has been coming up recently to describe the way we first worlders are so picky about everything - things that would be nonsensical to the less fortunate (for example, I hate it when my iPhone freezes, I hate getting gas, I hate grocery shopping, it's so annoying when a bird poops on my Corvette. Get the picture?) I think it's great that Americans seem to be having an increasing awareness of the disparity that exists in our world. How can things like iPhones even exist in a world without basic necessities for all? That's the question, isn't it? And if we are really becoming more awake to this issue, what then is the next step? We are at a crossroads, as usual. Should we go back to sleep? It's a viable option. It's hard to see the starving children. I'll never be able to feed them all. We can easily go on living our luxurious lives without even giving the whole thing another thought, right? In fact, this is the much easier option, and we all get to keep our cars, phones, and big houses. We can continue to be as comfortable as we have always been. As we get older, we can continue to strive for even more comfort. One day, you can die at the age of 84 in a four-post bed in your four bedroom house. Congratulations. Seeing what the world looks like didn't change you.

How else could we respond, anyway? Well, only being aware of the difference between first world and third world can help you take yourself less seriously. Is it really so bad if you have to make an appointment at the apple store two days in advance? You have a car, access to a mall, electronics, and a stable enough society to feel relatively safe on the ride over.

Philipians 2:14
Do everything without complaining and arguing.


Well, as if it wasn't something that we are all called to do, it's even easier for us.

The rest is pretty obvious, even though we might try our hardest to avoid it. Give it away. Give it all away. Who needs it anyway? All we really need is Jesus. I don't mean that you need to literally give away every single thing you own. In fact, with some things, it is irresponsible to sell it. My computer, for instance, is pretty essential (though definitely not completely essential) to my ministry and also to my education, which God has called me to as well. I probably couldn't sell it for nearly as much as it is value to me. However, I strongly encourage you to take baby steps. Maybe this week, try to cut out one first world thing - going to the movies, buying some new clothes, eating in a restaurant, or buying a new game. Be creative, and do whatever you want! And you can take that $10 or whatever and do something that makes someone's difficult life a little easier. Give it to World Vision, Heifer International, etc. Whatever kind of organization you think is effective, you can support. There are microloans, food, shelter, jobs, etc. Or if you want to get really hands on (and I recommend that you do), take a homeless person out to lunch or purchase some supplies for some organization that works in your neighborhood. Volunteer. Get out and do something for once.

Just to be clear, this isn't some social justice rant. Of course, I believe in justice, and I believe that our God is a God of justice. What it really comes down to is love.

Today I was thinking about how much we all love ourselves. I love myself so much that I want to sit in the front seat without offering it to someone else. I love myself so much that I want to buy some jewelry as a souvenir for myself. I love myself so much that I want to have the best friends I can have. In fact, I went all the best I can get for myself - the food I like best, the comforts I like best, the agenda that I want, etc. Am I wrong? Don't you also love yourself that much?

I think it's important for us to think about how much we love ourselves when we think of what Jesus said. We should love others as ourselves. That creates a huge problem for us, doesn't it? Does that mean that I WANT someone else to get the front seat? It sure does. Does that mean I should want to do what someone else wants to do? YEP! Because when you really get into it, Jesus is telling us that we should want what is best for others the way we want what is best for us. It's exactly like the way GOD wants the BEST for us, even if it means the worst for Him - like sending his son to live like a poor man and die like a criminal. Do you ever think about how Jesus was materially poor? He was born into a modest family. Obviously, God could have had Jesus born in the richest, most influential family... But He didn't, did He? Yet, Jesus fed and healed others because He wanted the best for them. Even more than that, He died for us because He wanted the best for US! How can we love like that? We can't but with the Spirit in us, we can definitely work towards that. And it starts with putting others before ourselves, humbling ourselves, and taking the worst and lowest for ourselves. And THAT is why we should be feeding those who don't have food and helping everyone with less than us. Because when you see that picture of a starving child, you should love them and want only the best for them, even if it means less for us.

And I'm certainly not there right now. I mean, I love them and want what is best for them, but just take a look at where I live. With WWV, I live well above (and I mean WELL above) Haitian standards. My problems right now are still first world problems. Today, I had to take a shower in the dark because I didn't have electricity. Yet, I still had a shower, soap, shampoo, the promise of electricity later, music to listen to, a towel, etc. The list goes on and on. Today we were delayed about an hour because of a wreck. Yet, we still had a car. And we were on our way to a beach resort. So it's still a first world problem, isn't it?

Just a little something to think about. I'm sorry if the blog was too long or deeper than you were in the mood for! Please comment and question, especially if you disagree with anything I said or are confused about anything.

Much love from Haiti,
Shelbs

3 comments:

  1. Wow, deep stuff. It's a tough calling, but I agree with you all the way that we ought to put others first. Too bad agreeing is the easiest part. Oh well, baby steps, like you said. :)
    This was a very good post, Sherbs. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello beautiful darling!!!! Sorry I haven't commented in a while. I just took the time to get caught up on all your posts. I'm really glad there are more interns there now! The one thing that really resonated with me was when you talked about not feeling sad when you see the impoverished children and other things like that. I totally understand what you're saying, and I feel the same way. Sometimes I think maybe I am just heartless, but I actually think it is a better place to be than always so filled with sorrow. When I see the beggars on the side of the road here, I don't see a beggar, I see a person created and loved by God, and that makes me feel joyful to see them. I always try to look them straight in the face, give them a genuine smile, and say namaste. I want them to feel like a human being, and to feel like they are worth smiling about.

    ReplyDelete