September 9, 2013

beauty

About 6 years ago, I wrote an essay about how anything is beautiful if you love it.  Which I still think is true.  Yet, I lament that we, as people, tend to love so little, when our capacity to love is so large.

I sat in front of a waterfall, perhaps the most beautiful thing I have ever EVER seen.  As I was captivated by that beauty, I couldn't help but think of the beauty that is around as all the time.  When something becomes commonplace, we tend to stop admiring it.  We sat in front of the waterfall for hours.  But what if we lived next door to the waterfall?  How long would it be before we hardly gave it a second glance?  Probably not long at all.

So I guess the moral of the story is to appreciate the beauty around you and love the place you're in.  The things you see every day might be someone else's beautiful waterfall, and you don't want to miss it.


2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! (the waterfall and what you wrote) I'd love to read your essay sometime, because I really like the concept you pointed out of anything being beautiful if you love it. That's just so you, so full of love. :)

    ReplyDelete