September 13, 2013

the last couple weeks in pictures

When I got here a couple weeks ago, we spent the night at Servotel in PAP.  Good days of swimming and french fries.  The next day we took the bus to Les Cayes (pronounced O Kai), where Shannon and I BOTH saw our house for the first time!  
 And this is the room that I share with Lena and a three year old Haitian named "Papou."  In this picture, you can see a lot of things that are precious to me including: a card from Lovingtsky, a Disney calendar, a prayer white board, pictures of my friends at Asbury (including a very dear friend, soon to be married!), one of the best gifts I've ever gotten - Chuck, and a wooden decoration from Honduras.  What I love about not having too much stuff is that everything I have is either extremely useful or deeply cherished.



 Lena and I painted a fan!
 It didn't turn out quite as exciting as I had hoped.  The pictures is cooler than real life.
 We also did some face painting as part of a Girl Scout Try-It.  Since when are they called try-its?  I miss badges!

 Perhaps my favorite part is the green and blue eyebrows.  New fashion trend?  I hope so.
 We also went to Saut Matherine.  Go to Shannon's blog and check out her pictures.  They're much better than mine!!

 Chacos.  Fit for adventure.
 This is me, ready for my first day of teaching University!
 And this is me, more accurately portraying the nervousness of teaching there!  I mean, only 1% of Haitians make it to University, and I don't feel worthy to teach them!
 On Thursday, there were no desks in my classroom!! I awkwardly asked my students to get get desks, and it worked.  Yet, I must wonder if the exact same thing from another teacher is what got my desks lost in the first place.  Ha!
 This is Papou, when he got new underwear from the states!  You can't really tell in this picture, but he's wearing about 6 pairs of underwear at once!

Coming soon: pictures of Lena's freshly-painted classroom and pictures from the orphanage where we volunteer.

Woohoo!!!!

P.S.  Please send me letters and packages!  Letters are the song of my heart.  All you have to do is mail it to Florida, and it will get to me!  And with packages, you need to make a small donation to the flight ministry, which is called Agape!  They are the BEST people ever, and they are giving us a free Thanksgiving meal in November.  Crazy!  Here's my address!

Shelby Bollar
c/o Agape Flights CAY 27525
100 Airport Avenue
Venice, FL 34285
http://www.agapeflights.com/send-a-packageletter.html

3 comments:

  1. Wait, Girl Scouts don't do badges anymore? Whaaaat???
    And I think your fan is cute!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the updates and the photos!! Going to put you together a package ASAP any special requests?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That depends. Can you mail me a pizza? =]

      If you can find one of those plastic popsicle mold things somewhere, that would be absolutely amazing! Otherwise, I don't think I have any particular needs or cravings just yet! =]

      Delete